PEHSU Grand Rounds Webinar
This webinar is part of an ongoing series of educational presentations by experts on issues that focus on current and emerging aspects of pediatric and reproductive environmental health.
The Role of Early Life Exposures in Late Life Neurodegenerative Disorders - August 15, 2018 - 1:00 pm ET
- Recognize the underlying pathologies of the primary neurodegenerative diseases
- Describe three mechanisms involved in neurodegeneration
- Give an example supporting the multi-hit hypothesis of neurodegeneration
- Name three potential early life risk factors for Parkinson’s disease or Alzheimer’s disease
Co-Director PEHSU Region 9
Dr. Goldman received his medical degree from the University of Texas, Houston in 1987. He trained in Preventive Medicine and earned his MPH in Environmental Health Science from the University of California, Berkeley in 1993. He is currently Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco in the Division of Occupational & Environmental Medicine and the Department of Neurology, and an attending physician in Environmental Medicine at the San Francisco VA Medical Center. He is also co-Director of the Western States Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit (PEHSU, Region 9). Prior to relocating to UCSF, Dr. Goldman spent 20 years as a Senior Scientist in the Department of Clinical Research at the Parkinson’s Institute in Sunnyvale, CA, where he directed the brain bank. Dr. Goldman has published extensively on the epidemiology of neurodegenerative diseases, with a focus on environmental risk factors for Parkinson’s disease. Among these are pesticides, solvents, smoking, traumatic brain injury, the microbiome, and the interaction of these factors with genetic susceptibility factors.
Continuing Education Information
- Take the course on the PEHSU National Classroom
- Visit TCEO and follow these 9 Simple Steps before September 18, 2020.
- Search for the activity: WD2588-081518
- Complete the Evaluation at www.cdc.gov/TCEOnline
- Pass the posttest at 80% on TCEO (Posttest consists of a mix of five multiple choice and true/false questions.)
- CE certificates will be available on your TCEO account
Acknowledgement: The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) supports the PEHSU by providing partial funding to ATSDR under Inter-Agency Agreement number DW-75-95877701. Neither EPA nor ATSDR endorse the purchase of any commercial products or services mentioned in PEHSU publications.