Region 8 PEHSU | Factsheet on Children’s Health and Vaping: E-cigarettes & electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) (2018) > Known Heath Effects from Vaping
posted on Jul 30, 2019
- Clinical symptoms from vaporizing nicotine are similar to other nicotine products including stimulant effects such as tachycardia, hypertension, alertness, and euphoria.
- Nicotine is harmful to the adolescent brain, with risks of addiction, learning, attention, and behavioral health concerns .
- Other toxicants, carcinogens, and metal particles are detected in solutions and aerosols found in the cartridges, including benzene, ethylene oxide, acrylonitrile, acrolein, and acrylamide .
- Common flavoring agents, such as diacetyl and menthol, may cause oxidative stress, inflammation, endothelilial cell dysfunction, impair mucociliary clearance, and cause DNA damage and lung injury .
- Adolescent e-cigarette users have increased rates of symptoms of chronic bronchitis, and e-cigarettes are the most common form of tobacco use in adolescents with asthma .
- E-cigarettes are a potential source of toxic metals, including chromium, nickel, lead, manganese, and zinc, which are found in the aerosol and tank of e-liquids and e-cigarettes .