Safer Disinfectant Use During the COVID-19 Pandemic
To download this information as an infographic, click the following links:
Ways to protect yourself from COVID-19 posted on Jun 3, 2021
Cleaning: Removing Dirt and Germs posted on Jun 3, 2021
Disinfecting: Killing Germs posted on Jun 3, 2021
Safer, Effective Disinfection Choices posted on Jun 3, 2021
How do you more safely disinfect? posted on Jun 3, 2021
What if you can't access some of these safer products? posted on Jun 3, 2021
Key Points posted on Jun 3, 2021
Endorsed by the American Academy of Pediatrics, these resources can be used by health care professionals, families, schools, and/or early care and education professionals and offer guidance on cleaning surfaces safely, properly disinfecting to kill germs, and how to make safer, effective disinfection choices. Please note that the fact sheet can be printed for easy sharing.
- CDC recommendations for how COVID-19 spreads
Source: CDC. Information on how COVID spreads and how to protect yourself.
- California Department of Pesticide Regulation fact sheet: What’s So Great About Microfiber?
Source: Western States PEHSU. Learn about microfiber, why it's used for cleaning, and how to use it.
- Green Seal Safer Cleaning Products
Source: Green Seal. List of safer, Green Seal certified cleaning products.
- EPA Safer Choice Products List
Source: EPA. List of cleaning products that meet the EPA Safer Choice standards.
- EPA Design for The Environment Antimicrobial Pesticide Program
Source: EPA. Information on the meaning of, qualification process, and qualified products of the DfE logo.
- EPA List of Products for Use Against SARS-CoV-2
Source: EPA. List of products that will kill COVID-19. Page also provides additional cleaning resources.
- Michigan State University resource on bleach
Source: Michigan State University. Information on cleaning with bleach during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- American College of Medical Toxicology (ACMT) Safer Disinfectant Use Webinars & Resources
Source: ACMT. Webinars and resources on Safer Disinfectant Use. Produced in collaboration with PEHSU.
- Clean Away COVID
Information on cleaning your home and staying safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. Endorsed by PEHSU
- HealthyChildren.org: Hand Sanitizers - Keep Children Safe from Poisoning Risk
Source: HealthyChildren.org. Guidance on safely using hand sanitizers.
- HealthyChildren.org: Cleaners, Sanitizers, and Disinfectants
Source: HealthyChildren.org. Information and best practices re: cleaning products and choosing the best products.
Additional COVID-19 Resources
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) COVID-19 Resources for Pediatricians
- HealthyChildren.org COVID-19 Resources for Families
- American College of Medical Toxicology (ACMT) COVID-19 Resources for Health Care Providers and the Public
This material was supported by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and funded (in part) by the cooperative agreement award number 6 NU61TS000296-02-01 from the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). ATSDR does not endorse the purchase of any commercial products or services mentioned in the PEHSU publications.